Saturday 20 April 2013

Flash back: March 28

I've just spent a night in the desert with wind blowing sand in my face the whole night. I don't understand Berber tent doors. I haven't mastered the whole closing them yet.



Our Sahara trek has been much more driving in a car than I thought it would be. We drove through the Atlas mountains for four hours today. That's four hours of constant twists and turns at high speeds. I am incredibly grateful to my parents for giving me genes that prevent car sickness. God bless them.


It was a three day trip that we took and we reached the desert on the second day. We promptly donned our scarves (Berber style of course) to protect us from the sun and climbed aboard our camels. I like camels. They're majestic and remind me of Aladdin. Actually the whole experience made me want to sing "Arabian Nights" at the top of my lungs. I didn't though. I'm a good sister and I thought Joel might've died of embarrassment. 


We trekked to our tent site and then immediately scrambled up the biggest dune around to watch the sun set. It was made even more amazing by the rise of the full moon in contrast to the setting sun. We had a bonfire that night and woke up early the next morning to watch the sun rise. Aaand got back on our camels. Which is not as much fun as you'd think at six in the morning. A rollicking camel ride before tea and breakfast is a bit hard for me to handle. 



The Sahara

Joel in his Aladdin pants 

Watching the sunset

The full moon rising

Long exposure shot

My white camel (Hector) and the setting moon

The rising sun

1 comment:

  1. looks so beautiful! Tell J his pants are the best. Also, I would have sang with you <3

    ReplyDelete