Saturday 8 June 2013

June 8

Jill and I arrived in Krakow safely and have just been wandering around the city, exploring the old town and sampling the local fare. We just had the most amazing perogies in Krakow. Finger licking, stomach stretching, boiled and roasted dumplings. We followed up on a recommendation by our hostel receptionist to find Grandma's raspberrys (U Babci Maliny),  a hidden gem definitely worth visiting. It's a tad hard to find. There's only a small sign hanging above a large imposing wrought iron gate. It's through a deserted hallway, then a courtyard and down a few flights of stairs. All unsignposted so it definitely felt like we were trespassing the entire time but once we opened that last door, a kitschy polish Mecca awaited. It was done up to look exactly like a Polish grandmother's house. Except with long tables and benches crammed in and a circular aquarium in the middle. We ordered ruski perogies (yay!!) and compote. So delicious. My craving is finally satisfied. Over half a year later, I've finally had my perogie fix. Oh happy day!! Now I just need to discover dill pickles in a supermarket and my life will be complete. 

1 comment:

  1. remember my quest to find a good jar of pickles in every city we went to in croatia? its gonna happen again.
    - amelia (i dont know how to post on this thing)

    ReplyDelete